Debenham Floods  

On Friday 20 October 2023, we saw devastating floods in and around our Community.

For up to date information and support, visit the Debenham Village facebook page (you do not need to join the group to be able to see the information) and Debenham Parish Council facebook page

Dove cottage is open from 10am on Mondays for support and guidance if you have been affected in any way from the floods or if you wish to volunteer your time or support. 


I wanted to take this opportunity to update you on the latest regarding DEFRA’s Property Flood Resilience Grant.  

The government uses the Flood Recovery Framework to make funding available to communities following specific storm events that result in severe flooding. Residents and business owners may have already received an initial grant payment and notification of Council Tax/Business Rate discounts. An additional element of this framework is the Property Flood Resilience (PFR) Grant which the Government requires Suffolk County Council to administer on their behalf.  

The Council is preparing the PFR grant application process to comply with government requirements and intends to launch in early 2024 once those requirements have been finalised. Those who have experienced internal flooding to the living area of their property are likely to be eligible to apply for this support.  

In summary, eligible property owners (both domestic and commercial) receive a grant up to £5,000 to fund measures that make their property more resilient to future flooding. Following initial eligibility checks with the Council, property owners will be responsible for sourcing an independent surveyor and PFR contractor.  

All property owners that choose to apply for the grant will require a survey to be carried out by an independent, qualified building surveyor (must be independent from any company that installs PFR measures) who has completed the CIWEM PFR Foundation Training. Up to £500 of the total grant can be used to contribute towards mandatory survey costs.

Grants of up to £5,000 incl. VAT will be paid retrospectively to the property owner, once the Council receives proof of the completed installation and invoicing for the approved measures.  

Further information into the grant eligibility, conditions and the forthcoming application process can be found here.  We are now in the process of contacting those who have contacted us about flooding to their property with details about DEFRA’s grant.  An update on the recovery work related to Storm Babet, including the planned investigations due to begin in the new year can be found here. 


Matt Hullis  Head of Environment Strategy

Suffolk County Council

01473 264446  07899 924372


Flood Support: (A message from Mid Suffolk District Council - 27/11/23)

Households affected by flooding can apply for £500, while businesses can claim £2,500, to help with initial recovery costs. District councils are responsible for distributing the grants, and we have been working closely on this with our neighbouring districts and Suffolk County Council, the lead local flood authority.  

The team has worked tirelessly to set up a system to process these payments quickly, which meets the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) and Department for Business and Trade (DBT) eligibility requirements, and also makes it as simple and stress-free for residents and businesses as possible. 

I am pleased to say we are in the process of contacting all residents and businesses who registered as having had a flood on the Suffolk County Council reporting tool. This is so we can process the grants and Council Tax discount (100% relief for three months minimum, and 100% on temporary accommodation if displaced). 

Homeowners are simply being asked to provide us with just a few extra details (such as bank details and a self-declaration), and then payments will be made within a couple of days. 

Businesses are also being contacted and going through a similar process, although those that were not internally flooded but still affected will need to provide some additional information about the level of impact, eligibility and evidence being stipulated by DBT. 

I would like to stress that residents and businesses impacted do NOT need to take any action - we will contact them. But if they haven't reported their flood on the SCC reporting tool, they still need to – with further details on how to do that available here. The deadline for them to do this is the end of December.

Suffolk County Council is gearing up to administer the considerable additional work associated with the DEFRA Property Flood Resilience Repair Grant Scheme, which offers up to £5,000 towards a range of resilience works to residents and organisations meeting the scheme criteria. Working closely with the Environment Agency, they are also grappling with an unprecedented volume of Section 19 Flood Investigations to complete, which will take some time.



Housing: for those needing accommodation following flooding

Tel: 0808 168 7794   Text: 07827 842833

Please note: This is for new requests only. If you have already made yourself known, you will be in the system and do NOT need to contact them again. If you have already given your details to us at Dove Cottage, they have been passed on to the Housing Team.

Electricity: for unsafe electrical supply or power cuts due to flooding Tel: 105

Water: please contact Anglian Water direct with any water supply issues

Suffolk County Council: 0345 6066171 for flood water issues from highways or land surface drainage.

Wepage with flood support information: Suffolk County Council Storm Babet

Environment Agency: 0800 807060 to report flooded rivers

Matthew Hicks County Councillor: Work Phone 01728 628176 Mobile Phone 07824 474741

Debenham Parish Council: Dina Bedwell Parish Clerk Tel:01473 787861

Norfolk & Suffolk 4x4

If you need advice following the floods then Citizens Advice can help.

Citizens Advice.can help you apply for charitable support or advise about issues with a landlord or an insurer. You can also phone them on 01449 676060 or use the contact form on their website

flooding scene

Report flooding in your home:

If you have been affected by flooding, please report it on the Suffolk County Council website.

This will enable the Council to plot out the extent of the flooding across the area and help plan out what help is needed now and in the future.

Please also use the link to report any potholes or pavement damage which has arisen or made worse by the flooding.

Council Tax and Business Rate Relief

Residents and businesses who were significantly affected by the flooding will also be eligible for at least three months of council and business rate relief.

 If you are in a position to apply, please visit the MSDC website for further information. If you know of someone who is not on the Internet and may need this support, please let us know so that we can help them with the process.

Flood damaged items

If you have flood damaged items to be collected by Mid Suffolk District Council, please complete the details on this online form; flood damaged items for collection and disposal

Important Information on Oil spills:

  • If you lost an oil tank during the flood or  your property/land has been affected by an oil spill, please report it to your insurer
  • Report it to Anglian Water
  • Check your oil tank for cracks or leakages - particularly if flood water reached your oil tank.  It may have become dislodged or suffer damage that may not be obvious until the next time it is filled.  Leaks can occur suddenly and cause significant environmental harm. There’s a short video here for advice and the website has a list of registered engineers.

The Environment Agency is visiting the area to assess what needs to be done.

What information would be helpful for us to add to this page? Let us know


Further Information: