Registered Charity Number: 1063158
The Friends of St Mary's was formed in 1997 solely for the purpose of raising funds to go toward the maintenance, preservation and enhancement of the fabric of the Church for future generations. As a registered charity we seek to attract as members people, wherever they live, who having been to Debenham or who have lived here at some time and enjoyed the quietness and simple beauty within the walls of our much loved and cared for medieval church, and who wish to contribute and support us in our aims.
St Mary's church has graced the village of Debenham for a thousand years. Its rather squat tower, the consequence of a 1667 lightning strike when its height had to be reduced by 20 feet or so, stands reassuringly square on foundations regarded by many as the best example of Saxon work in Suffolk.
Such is its place in village history, almost every century since Saxon times is represented within the building either architecturally, in its monuments, or its artefacts, including specially commissioned late 20th Century stained glass.
The bells, a ground floor ring of eight are among the finest in the county and the church remains at the heart of village life today. The doors are always open during daylight hours and all are welcome.
For general information on St Mary's, look under Places of Worship on this website. For the latest information including service details and newsletters go to the Debenham page at www.achurchnearyou.com/debenham.There are photographs and historical information on Simon's Suffolk Churches website.
|Chairman||Val Watts||01 728 860 255|
|Secretary||Lynne Cockerton||01 728 861 140|
|Membership Secretary||Jan McIntyre||01 728 861 061|
|Committee Member||Geoffrey Weston||01 728 862 060|
|PCC representative||Ray Watts||01 728 860 255|