Friends of St Mary's, Debenham

Registered Charity Number: 1063158

Patron: Lady Henniker

President: Reverend Patrick Cotton

Who are we?
The Friends of St Mary’s was formed in 1997 solely for the purpose of raising funds to go toward the maintenance, preservation and enhancement of the fabric of the Church for future generations. As a registered charity we seek to attract as members people, wherever they live, who having been to Debenham or who have lived here at some time and enjoyed the quietness and simple beauty within the walls of our much loved and cared for medieval church, and who wish to contribute and support us in our aims. 
St Mary’s church has graced the village of Debenham for a thousand years. Its rather squat tower, the consequence of a 1667 lightning strike when its height had to be reduced by 20 feet or so, stands reassuringly square on foundations regarded by many as the best example of Saxon work in Suffolk. 
Such is its place in village history, almost every century since Saxon times is represented within the building either architecturally, in its monuments, or its artefacts, including specially commissioned late 20th Century stained glass. 
The bells, a ground floor ring of eight are among the finest in the county and the church remains at the heart of village life today. The doors are always open during daylight hours and all are welcome.
For further information on St Mary's, visit Simon's Suffolk Churches web site

Who are we?

The Friends of St Mary’s was formed in 1997 solely for the purpose of raising funds to go toward the maintenance, preservation and enhancement of the fabric of the Church for future generations. As a registered charity we seek to attract as members people, wherever they live, who having been to Debenham or who have lived here at some time and enjoyed the quietness and simple beauty within the walls of our much loved and cared for medieval church, and who wish to contribute and support us in our aims. 

St Mary’s church has graced the village of Debenham for a thousand years. Its rather squat tower, the consequence of a 1667 lightning strike when its height had to be reduced by 20 feet or so, stands reassuringly square on foundations regarded by many as the best example of Saxon work in Suffolk. 

Such is its place in village history, almost every century since Saxon times is represented within the building either architecturally, in its monuments, or its artefacts, including specially commissioned late 20th Century stained glass. 

The bells, a ground floor ring of eight are among the finest in the county and the church remains at the heart of village life today. The doors are always open during daylight hours and all are welcome.

For general information on St Mary's, look under Places of Worship on this website. For the latest information including service details and newsletters go to the Debenham page at www.achurchnearyou.com/debenham.There are photographs and historical information on Simon's Suffolk Churches website.

Committee

President Revd Patrick Cotton 01 728 861 073
Chairman Val Watts 01 728 860 255
Secretary Lynne Cockerton 01 728 861 140
Treasurer Roger Cockerton  
Membership Secretary Jan McIntyre 01 728 861 061
Committee Member Geoffrey Weston 01 728 862 060
PCC representative Ray Watts 01 728 860 255

Become a member

Membership form

 

Advanced Search

Use this facility to search for any words or phrases, not only on these pages, but also embedded in downloadable documents. And read a handy guide on search tips.

Search

What's New

Find Us

52.224 1.182